How are Americans doing when it comes to the dental health of those who are sixty-five and over? Well, at Almeida & Bell Dental Cosmetic, Implant & Sedation Dentistry in Lone Tree CO, we have some good news and bad news.
The Good News:
- Tooth decay rates in older Americans has decreased in the past thirty years.
The Bad News:
- 25% of people over sixty-five have no remaining teeth
- Nearly 20% have untreated cavities
- 10% of adults 65 and over have moderate to severe periodontal disease.
- There is evidence to suggest that advanced gum disease is linked to diabetes, heart disease, stroke and respiratory disease
- Most older Americans don’t have dental insurance
Clearly, there is room for improvement. What elements will improve the oral health of older Americans? The National Institutes of Health cite three things:
- Improved oral health education for the elderly
- Seniors practicing effective daily oral hygiene
- Increased access to dental care
At Almeida & Bell Dental Cosmetic, Implant & Sedation Dentistry in Lone Tree CO, we are committed to providing all of our patients with comprehensive oral health education and care. People from Highlands Ranch, Denver, and Littleton come to us for our full range of general and restorative dentistry. Contact us today!
Contact Almeida & Bell Aesthetic Dental Center:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):